Committed to the environment
Environmental management is an established part of our corporate activities. As a manufacturing company, we set our focus on efficient resource management so as to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions to the best of our ability, use commodities and materials in a safe and saving manner and largely avoid producing hazardous waste.
As a technology company, Jenoptik generates only small amounts of emissions within its plants (scope1); the majority of its pollutant emissions are attributable to externally sourced energy (district heating or electricity).
Energy consumption of the Jenoptik sites in Germany (in megawatt hours):
|Total energy consumption||56.348|
Building with the environment:
Jenoptik implements statutory requirements relating to nature conservation and environmental protection for new buildings, extensions and the modernization of existing production facilities. State-of-the-art technologies for saving resources and protecting the environment are applied when fitting out production facilities, for example. On all its construction activities, Jenoptik is increasingly focusing attention on improving energy efficiency.
The new building in Michigan was fitted with the latest sensor-controlled LED lighting for the offices and production environment, as well as special energy-saving heating and air-conditioning equipment. The insulation values are better than current requirements, which is attributable to the heat insulation used.
Waste:Within all segments located in Germany, types of waste are systematically recorded and categorized, and the quantities calculated. In general, Jenoptik aims at recycling waste through certified waste management facilities. Through continuous waste separation and training of the employees on waste prevention the amount of residual waste was substantially reduced.
|Hazardous waste (in tons):||242||247||185||183||175|
|Non-hazardous waste (in tons):||779||659||559||620||871|
Raw materials and careful use of resources:
As a high-tech company, Jenoptik is dependent on a wide range of raw materials. In the face of an increasing scarcity of resources, Jenoptik is committed to making sparing use of the materials it requires.
We comply with applicable regulations, for example the requirements of the European chemicals regulation REACH and the European RoHS directive, and are fully involved on associated committees. The objective of our purchasing processes is to meet all regulations relating to conflict minerals in compliance with the Dodd-Frank Act.
Many of Jenoptik’s innovative products and services make a contribution to the efficient and responsible use of resources. As a technology company, we are mostly involved in the areas where our customers’ production processes and products can be made more efficient.
Diode lasers are one of the most efficient light sources available, with an efficiency of up to 70 percent.
- a wide range of industry applications
- flexibility and efficiency
- Jenoptik laser machines are an durable and resource-saving alternative to conventional machining processes
- accurate material processing of plastic and metal materials
„JENOPTIK RayLance", the efficient new generation of lighting for industrial applications:
- high performance and a long service life
- impressive energy efficiency with a light yield about 40 percent greater than that of the previous generation
- ideal for use in large industrial spaces such as warehouses, logistics halls and production halls
Electric motors and generators and complete power supply units:
- extremely efficient
- feature a very good power to weight ratio, i. e. an improved ratio between the level of electrical or mechanical energy generated and the weight of the systems
- Jenoptik also developed an innovative hybrid power generation system for the Patriot missile defense system, ensuring a more efficient supply of energy to the Patriot launching stations in the future
Reduction of emissions:
One objective of the automotive industry is to reduce fuel consumption and pollutant emissions.
- high-precision metrology systems can be used for rapid and accurate testing of tolerances and qualities
- results are more precise surfaces on engine components and thus vehicles that require less fuel and are environmentally friendly
The increasingly widespread use of hybrid drive units is leading to the use of ever more complex transmissions containing a large number of new components, in turn demanding greater use of metrology.
- for customers, this means longer life cycles and less service expenditure
- higher product sustainability